Sunday, February 8, 2009

Susan Tiner Response

Hi Corey,

I am home sick with a cold, and procrastinating on a project due for another
client, so I'll write a quick response.

I have always liked your vision, and my first thoughts are that as with any
new enterprise, be it profit or non-profit, it's a good idea to do some
market research and then some market testing. I also like the idea of
focusing on one or two key services first, building relationships with and
referring to other providers initially for the other services.

I know you missed the 2008 Craigslist Foundation Book Camp, but here's a
link to podcasts:
http://www.craigslistfoundation.org/index.php?page=Nonprofit_Boot_Camp_Onlin
e

The In-Symmetry business model is centralized--clients go there for
services. However, acutely and terminally ill patients are often home bound
if not hospital bound, so your model would have to allow for providing
services in place.

I would think you'd want to narrow your clientele to one or a few niche care
segments, e.g., terminally ill and acutely ill, instead of the full spectrum
of illness. I say that because in building relationships with other
organizations, I think you'll find they're pretty specialized too.

Let's say you begin by focusing on skin care and massage for the terminally
ill. In that case I would definitely recommend connecting with local Hospice
to see what the possibilities are in terms of hooking into their existing
patient population to provide services.

By the way, my mother has been a Hospice nurse on Eastern Long Island, NY
for nearly 20 years. She is 76 now, but sill works almost full-time as the
Volunteer Coordinator managing 150 volunteers.

I admire Hospice, and really support your decision to move in this
direction.

Love & Hugs, Susan

___________________________
Susan D. Tiner
Tiner Financial Services
http://www.tinerfinancial.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment